Showing posts with label News on SRK movies. Show all posts
Showing posts with label News on SRK movies. Show all posts

Saturday, September 5, 2009

King kaam khan



Shah Rukh Khan who underwent a surgery for a tear on his left shoulder muscle at the Breach Candy hospital in Mumbai last month (February 16) resumed shooting for Karan Johar's My Name Is Khan at Filmistan Studios from March 22 onwards.
Though SRK has been seen at a few private parties, events and IPL related meetings, he was on a break from work.
SRK says, "We started shooting from Sunday onwards. It's supposedly simple work. I haven't recovered fully yet. It will take another four months but this shoot is unavoidable so I have to do it."
When asked how he is coping with the shooting the actor says, "It's painful and I keep taking painkillers and exercise in the breaks. The work is being kept easy."
Shah Rukh rules out the possibility of doing action scenes for the next few months. "As far as action scenes are concerned, I don't know… maybe six to seven months later. I still can't move my arm."

Hurt history

Shah Rukh had injured himself on the sets of Dulha Mil Gaya in November last year and then headed to LA for the shooting of My Name Is Khan for 45 days at a stretch. He decided to undergo the operation after the release of his home production, Billu. He had surgery done at the Breach Candy Hospital .

SRK raids Hollywood


Shah Rukh Khan has got Hollywood writer David Benullo for his next production, Ra.1, which is being directed by Anubhav Sinha. Ra.1 is an SFX film. Benullo has written the screenplay for Around the World in 80 Days and the script for Hallowed Ground, Cupid and Shadow Man, which had won the International Fantasy Film Award in 2006.

An industry insider said, “Since Ra.1 is not a run-of-the-mill film, it requires a unique treatment. It’s has loads of special effects, which is why it will be made differently from the usual commercial Hindi films. SRK wanted a writer who would do justice to the film. Which is why he got David Benullo to work on the script.”

“The writer has already started work on the film when he was he was in India recently. He was working from the Red Chillies office. He had several discussions with SRK when he was recuperating after his shoulder surgery,” added the source.

Director Anubhav Sinha confirmed the news and said, “Yes, David Benullo is one of the writers working on the script. It’s too early to tell you anything more since I can’t talk about the film.” Sinha refused to divulge any further details. The film is expected to release early next year.

David Benullo is one of the writers working on the script. It’s too early to tell you anything more since I can’t talk about the film – Anubhav Sinha












Zarina Wahab to play SRK's mom in MNIK

So what if I am playing a mom?


Zarina Wahab will play mother to Shah Rukh Khan in My Name Is Khan. Aditya Panscholi's wife received a call from producer-director Karan Johar's office a few days ago and has agreed to essay the role.
No issues
She says, "I am an actor. So what if I am playing a mother? As an actor you have to get into various personas. Haven't I played mother's roles before? I have no issues about who plays my son or daughter."
So why not SRK?
"Yes," says the actress. "I have been doing maternal roles for long. I am a mother myself!"
In the film, SRK's character Rizwan Khan suffers from Asperger's syndrome — a form of autism that impacts social interaction abilities.
It is learnt that a hunt was for an actress who could essay the sensitivity involved in playing mother to such a son. The choice was clear as, of late, Zarina Wahab has not been seen too often on the big screen.
It is learnt that she got a call for My Name Is Khan just when she was leaving for Kerala for the shoot of a Malayalam film, Calendar. "I am doing a Malayalam film after 22 years!" she says. "It is nostalgia as well as great excitement for me to be part of it again. Though I have done several Malayalam films earlier, this came my way after two decades. Calendar is a mother-daughter relationship saga. It is how our lives are dictated by calendar dates. We have to this on that day, and that on this day."
Zarina returned to Mumbai on Friday from the shoot in Kerala. It is learnt that she begins shooting for My Name Is Khan this week. "It's too early to talk about My Name Is Khan," she says.
On the small screen, Zarina features in the Zee soap Maayka and will be also be seen in Sangeeth Sivan's Bobby-Nana starrer Ek.
Zarina has been acting for over three decades and is best remembered for her roles in films like Chitchor and Gharonda in the '70s.


Yash Raj Films' DDLJ completes 700 weeks at theatre

MUMBAI: In 2001, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ) broke the continuous-exhibition record, established by the movie Sholay at Minerva Theatre which ran for 5 years from 1975 to 1980.

As of March 2009, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge has set yet another record by completing 700 weeks of continuous play in Mumbai’s Maratha Mandir theater. This makes DDLJ one of the largest grossers in Indian film history and still counting.

Directed by Aditya Chopra starring Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol, the movie opened to full houses all over the world on 20 October, 1995. The film swept that year’s every major award and every single accolade of consequence.

This Yash Raj Film remains the longest running movie of Indian cinema and is presently running in its 14th year.

DDLJ received the National Award for Best Film along with 10 Filmfare Awards and two Screen Awards.



Karan Johar to shoot My Name Is Khan at Mehboob Studios

MUMBAI: Karan Johar's My Name Is Khan is all set to be shot in India after its first schedule in the US. The set for the film's next schedule is being constructed at Mehboob Studios in Mumbai.

The set is being designed by art director Sharmistha Roy.

However, the date when the shooting will commence at Mehboob is not yet decided. It may be recalled that the movie's protagonist - Shah Rukh Khan - recently underwent a shoulder surgery and is at present recuperating. Dharma Productions has booked an entire floor of the studio till 17 April, 2009 to shoot the film.

My Name Is Khan is based on a true story directed by Johar and produced by Dharma Productions. The screenplay is written by Shibani Bathija and the movie stars Kajol opposite SRK. The music is composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, whereas cinematography is by Ravi K. Chandran.

The film is slated for a December 2009 release

SRK goes back to acting school



Before he got into films, Shah Rukh Khan also did theatre. The actor was a part of theatre guru Barry John's troupe. Sources reveal that during his stint with John, SRK did a play on the subject of autism and even worked with an autistic child. For his next film, My Name is Khan, Shah Rukh has used references from his play to help him better his character.
A source close to the actor reveals, "Shah Rukh has done immense research on the subject of autism before starting the shoot. He has gone online and has read up all he could and has even asked for study reports of patients who suffer from the condition. However, what helped him the most was his experience of working with an autistic kid while doing a play all those years ago."
Shah Rukh's character in Khan will display a certain condition where his eyes will appear dead. "Physically, this is one of the most difficult characters he has played. In the film, we see that his eyes are dead and that he also has to say his dialogues at the same time. Since he isn't blind, but suffering from a certain condition, the challenge is bigger."
Apparently, the actor rehearsed daily on how to get the eyes right and give the correct expression. "It was painful to see him bring such a character to life," notes the source.


Back to work


Restless and raring to go,” is how a friend visiting Shah Rukh Khan described the actor, who has been confined to his home for over a month owing to his intricate shoulder surgery.

But SRK, who has been utilising the said time to be with his children, read scripts and catch up on his other reading, is all set to resume shooting from March 19, with friend Karan Johar’s My Name Is Khan.

Though no one is talking about SRK’s return plans as yet, it’s reliably learnt that SRK will begin with dramatic scenes as he cannot do strenuous scenes or fight sequences for a while.

Since Karan’s is the only film Shah Rukh has on the floors, he will be shooting at his own pace and rhythm, without the risk of having to do anything that could strain his shoulder.

Later, during the year, Shah Rukh will be starting Farhan Akhtar’s Don 2 with Priyanka Chopra, who incidentally is one of SRK’s co-stars to have kept a constant tab on the star’s health progress.

While refusing to talk about Shah Rukh’s return to shooting, Karan says, “All I’ll say is SRK’s health is of utmost importance. Films will come and go. He needs to be well.”

Karan says My Name Is Khan is the most important Johar-Khan collaborative vehicle. SRK is a very active part of My Name Is Khan in terms of its making and marketing, apart from keeping tabs on the finances of the project.
Laughs Karan, “I tend to go a bit crazy with money.

SRK is an active producer. It’s an important film for both me and SRK. Again, it’s an emotional bonding. This was a film I wanted to make with and for SRK. I want it to be an endeavour that should take both of us forward together.”



SRK on My Name is Khan

Excerpts from SRK interview

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1090307/jsp/entertainment/story_10636722.jsp

How did the My Name is Khan shoot go in the US?

We shot the second half. The first half is left. It’s come out well... main khud ke baare mein badhaa chadhaake nahin bolna chahta. I am playing an autistic person, so it’s very different for me. It’s not a very serious film. It’s a Forrest Gump kind of a film. You feel bad for this guy but there’s a lot of positivity in the film. Like a person who is not well can look at life so positively. Why can’t everyone do the same? It’s not about a disabled man’s fight against disability. It’s a disabled man’s fight against the disability that exists in the world — terrorism, hatred, fighting. I only do films with a subtext... I know normally my films don’t look and feel what I think about them. Because I am very clear that films should entertain. My Name is Khan is also about Islam and the way the world looks at Islam but we are not taking any sides. We are only trying to say that there are only good people and bad people. There are no good Hindus, bad Hindus, good Christians, bad Christians. Either you are a good person or a bad person. Religion is not the criterion, humanity is. The tagline we have put in the film is: “The first superhero with only one superpower — humanity”.

Is there a lot of creative satisfaction in your work these days?

Yes, the last few films were very satisfying. I also really liked Billu. It’s a great thought — friends that you don’t forget. I loved Irrfan in it. I liked Chak De! India. I also really enjoyed Don. And now playing an autistic person in My Name is Khan is so supremely satisfying that I don’t want to work on any other movie for the rest of the year. Arre yeh bahut hai! I am so happy doing it. I did a lot of studies, a lot of research.

So how did you research for My Name is Khan?

I had done a play about autism with Barry John where I worked with an autistic kid. So when my writer and director in My Name is Khan sat with me, I gave them 25 more pages of research. I gave them more references... four different physical manifestations of autism. The eyes are very difficult to do. When you see me in the film, you will be shocked. To me it’s very difficult. With 100 people around you, to get those unfocussed, dead eyes is very difficult. Then I am saying dialogues with those eyes without expressing. I had to practise those eyes in my bathroom for 10 days before I got it right. Now I am teaching my children... pushing the eyeballs up, they stay there, then I go cock-eyed and then they go blank. Very difficult, very fulfilling.