Saturday, September 5, 2009

Zarina Wahab to play SRK's mom in MNIK

So what if I am playing a mom?


Zarina Wahab will play mother to Shah Rukh Khan in My Name Is Khan. Aditya Panscholi's wife received a call from producer-director Karan Johar's office a few days ago and has agreed to essay the role.
No issues
She says, "I am an actor. So what if I am playing a mother? As an actor you have to get into various personas. Haven't I played mother's roles before? I have no issues about who plays my son or daughter."
So why not SRK?
"Yes," says the actress. "I have been doing maternal roles for long. I am a mother myself!"
In the film, SRK's character Rizwan Khan suffers from Asperger's syndrome — a form of autism that impacts social interaction abilities.
It is learnt that a hunt was for an actress who could essay the sensitivity involved in playing mother to such a son. The choice was clear as, of late, Zarina Wahab has not been seen too often on the big screen.
It is learnt that she got a call for My Name Is Khan just when she was leaving for Kerala for the shoot of a Malayalam film, Calendar. "I am doing a Malayalam film after 22 years!" she says. "It is nostalgia as well as great excitement for me to be part of it again. Though I have done several Malayalam films earlier, this came my way after two decades. Calendar is a mother-daughter relationship saga. It is how our lives are dictated by calendar dates. We have to this on that day, and that on this day."
Zarina returned to Mumbai on Friday from the shoot in Kerala. It is learnt that she begins shooting for My Name Is Khan this week. "It's too early to talk about My Name Is Khan," she says.
On the small screen, Zarina features in the Zee soap Maayka and will be also be seen in Sangeeth Sivan's Bobby-Nana starrer Ek.
Zarina has been acting for over three decades and is best remembered for her roles in films like Chitchor and Gharonda in the '70s.


No comments:

Post a Comment